Best Flea Shampoo for Dogs: Everything You Need to Know
Perhaps you already give your dog regular baths as part of his grooming routine, but what if he is infested with fleas? You might have realized that regular dog shampoos and even medicated dog shampoos will not kill fleas on your dog. If you want to get rid of fleas and their eggs, you need to use one of the best flea shampoos for dogs.
Moreover, when you use the best flea shampoo for dogs, you will not have to worry about harmful chemicals leaching into your dog’s system. Let’s dive in and explore everything you need to know about flea shampoos for your pooch.
Best Flea Shampoos for Dogs
Adams plus flea and tick shampoo
||Check Price on Amazon.com|
Hartz ultra guard flea and tick shampoo
||Check Price on Amazon.com|
Bio groom super whitening shampoo
||Check Price on Amazon.com|
Perfect coat white pearl whitening shampoo
||Check Price on Amazon.com|
Paw Choice Foaming Mousse dry shampoo
||Check Price on Amazon.com|
Who should buy flea shampoo for dogs?
Dogs easily pick up fleas and ticks when exploring the undergrowth and when playing with other dogs. You therefore need to find a way to prevent your pet from getting fleas, a way of killing fleas if they get on your fur baby, or a mixture of both.
Flea shampoos are just one of the many flea treatments available, and they are not for everyone. So, who should buy flea shampoo?
Purchasing the best flea shampoo for dogs is a great idea if you already bathe your dog regularly. If your furry one does not tolerate bathing well, you are better off going for other flea treatments, such as spot-on treatments and tablets. You should also check whether it is possible to use the flea shampoo with other treatment methods.
Which factors should you consider when buying the best shampoo for fleas?
- Efficacy – Does the shampoo actually work? This is the most important factor to consider. Some flea shampoos don’t do what their bottles claim they do. Read several customer reviews to ensure you choose the best flea shampoo for dogs.
- What it eradicates – Most flea shampoos will get rid of both fleas and ticks, but a few only deal with fleas. It’s good to always double check so you get a flea shampoo that will suit your dog’s needs. You should also check if the shampoo kills fleas at different stages of their life cycle or only at specific stages. A flea shampoo that kills even the eggs and larvae of fleas can break the parasites’ life cycle and completely quash your pet’s infestations.
- Preventive powers – Some shampoos will only kill fleas on contact while others will offer flea prevention. You are better off going for a shampoo that continues to kill fleas for another one to four weeks after the bath or those that prevent re-infestation.
- Package size – Always compare different packaging bottles and their prices. If bottle 1 costs just a few dollars more than bottle 2, but it is way bigger, then you are better off going for bottle 1.
- Scent – Different shampoos have different scents. Some are fruity, some are floral, and some are medicinal. It might not be possible to know whether you will like the scent without giving it a whiff, but customer reviews can help you choose the best flea shampoo for dogs.
How to use dog shampoo safely
Always watch out for these two ingredients when using pet shampoo: carbamates and organophosphate insecticides (OPS). These two ingredients are considered carcinogenic to humans. They can cause cancer or increase the risk of cancer.
You also need to take the following safety measures when using dog shampoo:
- Read the instructions of use carefully. Check the product label and the ingredients, and find out the purpose and risk of each.
- Consult your vet before trying a new product on a dog that is pregnant, under medication, or old.
- When you first use a shampoo on your dog, monitor your pet for twenty-four hours, and act immediately if you notice any symptoms.
- Always use the recommended amount of shampoo.
- Wash your hands, and wear a pair of gloves when bathing your dog.
- Always dry your dog off after a bath.
Steps for cleaning your dog with a dog flea shampoo
Observing the following steps will go a long way in providing your dog with comfort and relief when bathing him with the best flea shampoo for dogs:
- To prepare your dog for a bath, brush his fur thoroughly with a comb.
- Wet your dog’s entire body with water.
- Pre-mix the shampoo with a little water to make up a rich lather. Avoid putting the shampoo directly on your dog’s skin.
- Gently and thoroughly massage the shampoo on his body, including the stomach, armpits, tail, paws, and groin area.
- Keep his ear holes covered while you clean the rest of his face with a damp cloth to remove the dirt.
- Keep the shampoo on your pet’s body for as long as instructed.
- Rinse your dog until the water running from his fur is clear.
Apart from cleaning your dog with the best flea shampoo for dogs, you also need to keep the inside and outside of your home free of parasites. Cleaning and disinfesting your home will ensure that fleas don’t find a place to hide before they attack your pet again.
Now that you know how to use a dog shampoo correctly, let’s review some of the best flea shampoos for dogs that you should check out on Amazon today.
Adams plus flea and tick shampoo with proctor
This is probably the best dog shampoo for fleas and ticks. It is highly effective and only costs $10 for a 12-ounce bottle.
Adams plus flea and tick shampoo with proctor kills ticks, fleas, and lice in all their stages, including eggs. The added proctor provides an additional control of fleas by killing pre-adult fleas. This breaks the flea’s life cycle and gets rid of flea infestations for good.
Aside from being one of the best flea shampoos for dogs, Adams plus flea and tick shampoo with proctor also leaves your dog’s fur soft and shiny.
- Kills fleas for 21 days after application
- Active ingredients include piperol Butoxi, pyrethrins, and methprene
- Leaves your dog’s fur soft and shiny
A great shampoo that gets rid of all unwanted guests from your dogs fur and leaves the fur soft and shiny.
Hartz ultra guard flea and tick shampoo
This is the best flea shampoo for dogs that are bathed regularly. It not only kills ticks and fleas on contact, but is also safe to use on a weekly basis. So, you can easily incorporate it into your dog’s bathing routine.
Moreover, Hartz ultra guard flea and tick dog shampoo has a citrusy smell that deodorizes your dog without being overpowering. If you don’t like the smell of citrus, you can choose the oatmeal or fresh scented option. The oatmeal version is good for dogs with itchy skin.
You can use Hartz quad flea and tick shampoo on all dogs that are more than six months old.
An 18-ounce bottle goes for $10.
- Good for dogs and puppies older than six months
- Phenothrin is the active ingredient
- Kills fleas and ticks
This shampoo deals with unwanted parasites and leaves a nice and subtle scent. Safe to use on a weekly basis.
Sentry flea and tick shampoo with oatmeal
You don’t have to spend a lot to rid your dog of fleas and ticks. Sentry flea and tick shampoo with oatmeal is one of the best dog shampoo for fleas and ticks that is also budget friendly. An 18-ounce bottle goes for $5.
The shampoo’s active ingredients, piperonyl Buloxide and Permethrin, kill fleas and ticks on contact and for at least 10 additional days.
The oatmeal formula soothes your dog’s itchy skin.
- Contains soothing oatmeal
- Continues to kill fleas and ticks for up to 10 days after use
- It has a pleasant ginger smell
This shampoo contains piperonyl Buloxide and Permethrin as active ingredients. The effects last for at least 10 extra days.
Wonderside natural flea and tick shampoo bar
The other top pick on our list of best dog shampoos for fleas and ticks is Wonderside natural flea and tick shampoo bar.
It is a bit different from other shampoos; it comes in a bar instead of the conventional liquid. This means it does not require a plastic package (making it eco-friendly), and it’s less messy to store.
The shampoo contains suitably sourced palm oil, coconut oil, castor oil, shea butter, geranium oil, citronella oil, aloe Vera, honey, and vitamin E. The idea here is that these natural oils can kill and prevent fleas and ticks. However, customer reviews reveal mixed feelings about its effectiveness.
While some swear by the results, some are doubtful about the shampoo’s ability to kill dog fleas and ticks. You might just have to try and see if it works for your dog.
The manufacturer says that a 4-ounce bar will go for approximately four washes for a medium-sized dog, but users say it lasts much longer.
A single bar goes for $15.
- All ingredients are natural
- The solid bar does not require plastic packaging
- Leaves your pet’s fur soft and moisturized
Contains a mix of suitably sourced oils, aloe vera, honey and vitamin E. Comes in a bar instead of the conventional liquid form.
Mycode flea and tick shampoo p3
Mycode flea and tick shampoo p3 is the best flea shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin. Unlike popular belief, you don’t have to stick to natural choices when selecting the best dog shampoo for fleas and ticks for a sensitive dog.
This shampoo has triple-strength pyrethrin as its active ingredient. It also contains aloe vera, lanolin, and coconut extract to soothe and protect your dog’s sensitive skin.
It only kills ticks and fleas on contact, so you will have to bathe your dog regularly or use the shampoo together with other forms of flea control.
Mycode flea shampoo P3 also has a light fragrance that is effective for getting rid of bad smells but does not linger for too long.
Unlike the other shampoos in our list of best dog shampoos for fleas and ticks, Mycode flea shampoo P3 is rather expensive. It retails at $25 for a 25-ounce bottle. It is, however, worth spending on for a dog with sensitive skin.
- Leaves coat soft and shinny
- Triple-strength formula
- Gentle on sensitive skin
While this shampoo can keep your dog’s white hair clean. If you want to restore it to its snowy, glistering original color, you will need to consider some of the best dog whitening shampoos we will discuss below.
This shampoo deals with ticks and fleas, gets rid of bad smells and leaves a light fragrance.
Why use whitening shampoos for dogs?
If you have a white dog, you know that if you don’t take proper care of its fur, it will lose its brightness and become dirty-looking as time goes by, and it will eventually get stained. The result will be an opaque-looking tone of white that looks unhealthy and is not as stunning as your dog’s luscious mane should be.
You can follow the steps some dog owners use and go for such solutions as goofy haircuts and white dye to try and hide the stains, but using the best whitening shampoo is a much better way.
These dog whitening shampoos are made with your bright-colored dog in mind. They work to leave your pet looking gorgeous and pristine.
How to choose the best whitening shampoo for dogs?
There are several types of whitening shampoos for dogs. Each one is meant to achieve something different. Given that every case is unique, it is important to understand the root of the problem so that you can choose the best dog whitening shampoo for your dog.
Bluing shampoos – These types of whitening shampoos make your dog’s coat appear brighter with adding optical enhancers for the coat. Bluing elements neutralize brassy orange tones, keeping your dog’s fur bright and light.
Clarifying shampoos – Clarifying shampoos remove stains and add brightness. They should, however, be used with caution because of their harshness.
These shampoos are powerful and great at removing waxes, oils, residue, and other buildup on your dog’s coat. They are, therefore, good to use if you are using other products on your dog’s coat. However, you should minimize their use as they can be damaging.
Enzymatic shampoos – These shampoos work by dissolving particles. They are great for removing stains caused by blood, tears, urine, and saliva.
Bleaching shampoos – Bleaching shampoos should be used with a lot of caution. Not only do they remove color from dark coats, but they are also capable of damaging both skin and hair when overused.
Dye-based shampoos – These shampoos work differently from the rest in that they cover the dog’s stains with dye instead of removing them.
The best whitening shampoo for you will depend on how serious the cause of your stain is. If the cause is not too serious, a soft brightening shampoo can restore your dog’s natural color. If not, you might want to go for a stronger shampoo.
That being said, it is better to start with a mild dog whitening shampoo and progress to stronger ones. Persistent use of harsh ingredients can hurt your dog’s coat and skin over time.
So, what are some of the best dog whitening shampoos?
Bio groom super white pet shampoo
Bio groom super white pet shampoo is a safe, balanced, and all-round whitening shampoo.
It was created to enhance light-colored and white coats and adding body and luster. It gives your dog’s fur a nice shiny finish that sparkles without looking unnatural or dyed while at the same time enhancing the texture of the hair, making it soft and bouncy.
Its active ingredient is derived from coconut oil that contains hydrolyzed proteins, providing added nutritional benefits to your dog’s coat. The shampoo is also good for matting control as it makes the hair more manageable and easier to untangle without damage.
- Leaves hair soft so you don’t have to follow up with conditioner
- It dilutes in a 1-to-4 ratio, producing a lathery wash with little shampoo
- It is tearless so it won’t harm your pet if it gets in his eyes
- It contains added proteins
- It has no harmful chemicals or bleaching agents
- It is bio-degradable
- It can be used for non-white dogs because it has no bleaching agents.
Contains hydrolyzed proteins from coconut oil that make sure that your dog's coat is not only whitened, but also healthy.
Perfect coat white pearl shampoo for dogs
This shampoo is one of the best dog whitening shampoos for maintaining a dog’s naturally white hair. It has a light easy-rinse formula that provides a deep cleanse without damaging your dog’s coat.
One of Perfect coat white peal shampoo’s features is that it contains pearlescent whiteness that gives a glistening shine to your dog’s fur. It is also soft enough to use regularly and is, therefore, a great choice for dog owners who want to maintain the pet’s healthy, beautiful white coat.
- Natural pearlescent whiteness that reduces the possibility of allergic reactions
- Long-lasting coconut fragrance
- Has no dye or bleach, making it perfect for light-colored dogs, even when they have sensitive skin
- Has no an abrasive chemicals or dangerous products
- Easy-rinse formula ensures the shampoo does not set, making it easy to wash away
Contains pearlescent whiteness to make sure that your furry friend's coat is shiny and soft. This shampoo is safe for regular use.
Chris Christensen white on white shampoo for pets
Chris Christensen white on white shampoo was designed for removing yellow stains, but it works great for whitening as well.
Its formula contains no softening agents, bleaching agents, or harsh chemicals, but it still manages to restore lost whiteness and deepen the existing whiteness.
Its optic intensifying formula sets it apart from other shampoos in the best dog whitening shampoo category. The formula is a special mixture of ingredients that turn the shampoo into a veritable treatment that eliminates stains and also enhances color to the eye.
- Color deposit and cleaning system in one application
- Works well with all coat colors although its primary strength is whitening
- Has optical intensifying formulas that enhance whites and produces Vibrant colors
- Has no harsh chemicals or bleaching agents
- Gives the coat a semi-permanent color that does not rub off on anything
A gentle shampoo designed to remove yellow stains, as well as restore and deepen the whiteness of your dog's coat.
What about dry shampoos?
Some dogs are hydrophobic. They will go to any length to avoid taking a bath. As a dog parent, you must figure out how to keep your dog clean without forcing him into a bath. Luckily, dog shampoo companies come to your rescue by offering their options for the best dry shampoo for dogs.
Dry shampoos for dogs come in various forms. They include:
Paw Choice Foaming Mousse Dog Shampoo
One best dry shampoo for dogs is Paw Choice foaming mousse dog shampoo.
This is a coconut-based shampoo designed to work for all types of dog fur. It cleans the skin and coat and leaves it smelling clean and fresh.
- Mango and fresh pomegranate scents will ensure your dog smells good
- It’s gentle on your dog’s skin so it can be used even for pets with sensitive skin
- Made with a limited list of ingredients, mostly based on premium, natural sources
A coconut-based shampoo that will keep your dog's fur clean and fresh, adding a nice pomegranate scent.
Bodhi dog waterless shampoo
Bodhi dog waterless shampoo is possibly the best dry shampoo for dogs. Its hypoallergic recipe is created without most of the problematic ingredients that are found in other dry dog shampoos. Some of these ingredients include parabens and ethyl alcohol.
- Works well for dogs with sensitive skin
- Available in both lemongrass and lavender scents
Brothers Complete Venison and Egg Advanced Allergy Care
Wahl no-rinse waterless shampoo is the best dry shampoo to use if you want to tame your dog’s odor and keep his coat looking its best. It is a plant-based product with a foamy consistency that makes the shampoo easy to apply to your dog’s coat, no matter his breed.
- Has a pleasant lime, coconut, or verbena scent
- Has no harsh ingredients; hence, it doesn’t cause skin reaction
- Has oatmeal extract that soothes sensitive skin
A plant-based, foamy shampoo with oatmeal extract for sensitive skin.
It is vital that you always use the best shampoos for your dog’s skin, whether you are trying to kill fleas and ticks or whiten your dog. The best shampoo for your dog should be effective in doing what it is meant to do. It should also be gentle on your pet’s fur and skin.
The above guide should help you get the best shampoo for dogs, the best dog shampoo for fleas and ticks, the best dog whitening shampoo, and the best dry shampoo for dogs.